As you have read before about my precious friends and in my OCD way, I have arranged them into groups: my professional friends known as the Lalis; my know-all-about-me friends, the Sudduths and the Alexanders; my Church Girls; and my been-there-forever friends, the Turners and Dickersons. Plus, there are many others whom I count as friends even though they may not be a part of my daily or more private life. I consider all these people best friends in so many ways and know they would be at my side at the moment of any need. I have truly been blessed to have these all these wonderful people as friends.
What does this digression on friends have to do with New Years? Well, we continued our New Years tradition of spending the date with the Turners and the Dickersons. We went to the Dickerson's "boat house" at Lake Caroline and had a wonderful time catching up on news about our families and the goings on in our lives.
New Years Day 2009
Some of the best news is the Turners and Dickerson both are expecting grandchildren in the summer: second grandson for the Turners; first grandchild for the Dickersons (will know gender soon). I think it will be so much fun for us all to get together with all our grand kids for one of our New Years get togethers.
Anyway, Lance showed his old curmudgeon self (a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person) by calling Shirley a particular name when she was having a hard time understanding what he was trying to explain. I can't repeat it on the blog for fear of someone taking it as a profanity. Being called this name floored Shirley and made the rest of us do a double take and then burst out in laughter. And, with our group we did not let Lance forget what he said. I think Shirley is gunning for him. If I was Lance, I wouldn't turn my back on ole Shirl.
I also learned a new name for all the "stuff" Cathy has to put up with at work; alas, it is another word I can not put on the blog. But, it is very descriptive of what she has to endure on a daily basis.
The girls relaxin' and rockin'
I guess you think all we do is use profanity, but that is not the case. This year was just a bit more rowdy than others. We did enjoy a great meal at the Strawberry Cafe in Madison New Years eve and managed to stuff ourselves to the max the rest of the time.
The six of us usually see each other four or five times a year, and when we get together, we pick up just where we left off. I realize we did not make a toast or drink any champagne this year, even though we did manage to stay up after midnight, quite a feat for us.
So, here's to friendship. May it be long, may it be wonderful, and may it be fulfilling.
Also, here's wishing you a Happy 2009! DK
2 comments:
Love it and having been there, I would not have described Lance as a curmudgeon... but hey, you're the English wiz.... Had I known I would have ended up in a photo on a famous website, I'd have dressed a bit more appropriately.
I am a bit disappointed you didn't mention the outstanding Cotton Bowl game played this past Friday!! Wow, what a way to start the year, don't you think? Keep it up. Jay
Where am I in the list????
Post a Comment