Friday, April 4, 2008

It's Time to Vent!

To all of you who are waiting anxiously for the next post on the Italy trip (I know there are so many of you out there), you will still have to wait another day or two. Last week my precious family came for a four day visit after which I had to take to the bed for three days. I have heard many of my grandparent friends relay the familiar story of how wonderful it is to see the tail lights of their children's vehicles after a visit, and I can say that was the case for me this past Sunday afternoon, not because they drove me crazy or wore me out, but because I was so sick I could hardly hold my head up. The meanest stomach bug knocked me down with a sledge hammer, and I have lived on instant mashed potatoes, skittles, and diet Dr. Pepper for this entire week. These are the only food items that will stay in me. I am suppose to go to Shapley's tonight to eat, and I have no idea what I am going to order to eat now that I am in the land-of- the-living and do not want to go back to the land-of-lying-in-bed and halfway watching television.

Now, this is where the vent comes in. I am a Christian and a Methodist by domination via the Baptist Church. I was raised a Baptist and had a short stint in the Episcopal Church as a way to bridge the difference between my husband's Catholic upbringing and my Southern Baptist legacy. We eventually joined the Methodist Church when we returned to Mississippi in 1979 after starting our married life together in Florida. The reason I inform you of this is to explain that although Methodists do not actively mark the 40 days of Lent by having to give up something, my husband and I usually will decide on giving up something as a way to reinforce discipline in our lives, if only for 40 days. Note: Whatever you give up has to be a sacrifice. My giving up brussell sprouts would not be a sacrifice; believe me.

So this is where my vent takes its creation. Lance gave up drinking beer, and I gave up watching television, a real sacrifice for me. My good friend Shirley never watches television and her life goes on quite well, even though when we all get together and begin discussing something that has happened on a national level or some weird happening that has taken TV by storm, she just looks at us like we are crazy. So I thought if she can do it all the time, I could do it for 40 days. They were the most wonderful 40 days of my life, even if I did not get to see the latest Design to Sell on HGTV or jot down one of Giada's wonderful Italian recipes. I missed Bill O'Rilley's Patriots and Pinheads ( no big deal), but I did miss Robin and Dianne and Chris on Good Morning America as I dressed in the mornings. But the truly serious withdrawal came when I could not watch Law and Order (Yes, I have seen them all at least 6 times if not more, but I can not get enough and I love Jack's gray hair).

Here's what I realized after 40 days of no TV:

I know the Lord led me to stop watching TV for Lent.
The TV for the most part (probably because I get only basic cable) is aptly named the idiot box.

I got more done around my house.
I read some of the most wonder stuff, both spiritual and pleasurable.
Lance and I talked more because he pretty much observed the no TV rule while I was in the room.
My insominia went away.
Most importanly, what is considered news is a bunch of crap!

What prompted this particular blog is what I have heard on TV these last few days while I recovered from the sledge hammer blow:

A man is having a baby!?????? Just because techonology allows us to do whatever, does it make it right?

Some third graders were planning on hurting or maybe even killing their teacher. What happened to playing hop scotch, tag, dodge ball, and writing notes of check yes or no so I will know if you like me or not.

A girl is being criminally charged because her bus driver could not or would not take charge of a situation on her own bus. Did you ever hear the threat, "If you get in trouble at school, you will be in double trouble when you get home."

Hilliary lied about sniper fire. What is news about that? She lied? Wow! Who'd a thought that?

McCain made a gaff in Iraq. Like he's the only one?!!!!!

O'Bama is allied with a minister who can't keep his mouth shut. Does the media not know the dynamic of the black church in the south?

Mississippi legislators are worried more about killing deer over feeding plots than our failing Medicaid system and the fact that we do not have enough certified teachers in this state. Looks like the good ole boys are still in charge despite all the supposed progress that has been made in our state.

There are enough feel good television evangelists to make the good Lord above shake his head in disgust and wonder if they have really read His word. I shutter at all the "if you can name it, you can claim it" drivel or the "we are all trying to get to heaven; there are just different ways to get there" response. Yeah, right!

Jack still wins the same case he won when I watched the story the last time. However, his gray hair is still attractive.

What have I learned from all this wonderful "news"? Lent or no Lent, I am not watching TV anymore !!!!!

Now you know where Laura gets her ability to vent. The apple does not fall far from the tree!!!!! Italy trip narrative will return soon. Happy reading.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Mama DK...thank you for being my blog editor.:) I normally do a better job when writing/proofing my blog, but that slipped. I am in the process of updating the overall "look" of my blog and I'm still learning how to navigate this thing. Anyway, all that is to try and justify why I accidentally deleted your comment as well as the comment I made in response. I can't seem to get it back, so I thought I'd leave you a comment on your blog. By the way, I'm so glad I started blogging. I only did it because I thought, "if Laura can do it, I can do it." According to Laura, you're the reason she started blogging, so I guess you're ultimately the reason I did as well. My family loves it, so I will pass along their thanks as well. I can't wait to see all of you once we move back to MS!

Thomas & Amber Ryan said...

i am with you on the whole television thing. it is amazing how productive i am as well. take care!