Santa Croce Church, burial place for Michelangelo, Galileo, and Machiavelli
Replica of the original Il David, placed in the spot where the original was placed outside the Medici palace
Michelangelo's sculpture of Neptune outside the Medici palace
Former Gondi palace where da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa
Now is time for the coup gras of the morning, our viewing Michelangelo's Il David. We have seen one replica of the statue in the Piazza del Vecchio, but nothing has prepared us to see the "real thing." Roberto gives us all the details of the statues from what David is holding in his left hand to why his right hand is out of proportion to the rest of the statue. We examine the statue from the front, both sides and the back and the front again. Although, The David was not on my Bucket List, I think it should have been. When we get to the bookstore and souvenir shop, I purchase my book on the Il David to read later. I will need a translator. I accidentally purchased the one in Italian!
Front of the the Santa Maria del Fiore with pink and green marble
By now I have walked off my breakfast, and the organized part of the day is finished. We are on our own until 6:00 that evening. I am hungry, and so are several others. Our tour leader MR and her husband John end up going with the 3 buddies to a ristorante named ZaZa's. It is a small and crowed establishment that is rather warm inside so we opt to sit in the outside dining area. Our waitress is pleasant, a contrast to other Italians we have dealt with so far, but at this point I am still reserving my judgement on the population as a whole. We look over our selections and there it is--prosciutto. Now mind you I have never eaten prosciutto, but I have watched Giada on the Food Channel use it in many of her Italian specialities. You might be wondering how I know I would like prosciutto. Well, I am a vegetarian by choice, but not a vegan. I do eat dairy products and other produce from animals. And, I do like meat, but I choose not to eat it. But I must confess I love pork--pork chops, pork roast, pork tenderloin, and most of all BACON, fried crisp. If I fall off the wagon, bacon is usually the culprit. Prosciutto is pork that has been cure and salted and is what Italians consider the equal of our bacon,. Ergo, I know I like prosciutto. For my appetizer I order melon and prosciutto. Our waitress sits my plate in front of me, and I am salivating at this point. I wrap my first piece of melon in the prosciutto and pop it in my mouth. Yep! I knew I would like it. No. I love it. I continue to eat with gusto while the others at my table wonder if I have lost my mind. I finally persuade John to try a bite. Yep! He likes it. My main course of ravioli in a creamy red sauce with Parmesan cheese is next, and I inhale it along with bread and oil. The Italians just may have this eating thing down to an art.
We pass on ZaZa's dessert, and opt to introduce ourselves to gelato, an Italian ice cream. I am not a big ice cream eater, but gelato could change my mind . It is this creamy concoction that comes in flavors we have not even begun to think of here in the States. We all share in tasting each others' and vow to try more later.
We are near the Central Market and decide to do some shopping Italian style, bargaining. The market is a site to behold. Leather is everywhere, leather purses, leather coats, leather gloves, leather hats, leather wallets. Cashmere and lambswool scarves of every color and design and style. Murano glass jewelry and trinkets. Wooden Pinocchios (will explain later). Linen table cloths, napkins, and handkerchiefs. There are all kinds of items a euro can purchase. Note: The Euro is the money in Italy and is being used over most of Europe. The exchange rate for the US dollar is not good . While we are there the we have to pay $1.65 for one Euro. Your money can get away from you very quickly. But there are some great buys at the market, and Cathy and Shirley and I make friends with a vendor named Celeste from Romania; we buy scarves galore. Everyone we know back home will be dressed in an Italian scarf next winter. After spending time and money at the market, we begin to head back to our hotel. On the way we stop by the Ufizzi to get our tickets for a Sunday visit to the museum.
We get back to the hotel and purchase some computer time to e-mail home and learn that parts of Mississippi have gotten snow. Crazy weather.
We gather in the hotel lobby to walk to Il Latini to experience a fantastic meal Italian style. After a brisk stroll and a brief wait, we are seated and begin our meal. Our antipasta is served first: fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and prosciutto (yea!). First course: 3 soups-cannelloni bean, tomatoes and eggplant, tomato and bread and two pasta dishes, one with a white sauce and one with a red sauce. Main course: a meat platter containing chicken, lamb, pork, and duck, along with roasted potatoes with rosemary. The icing on the cake is the dessert platter that has tiramisu, cheese cake, fruit tart, gelato, and vanilla cream cake. To wind up the meal we are served a small shot of amaretto that warms me all the way through. One of my favorite places to eat is Walker's Drive Inn in Jackson, and I don't know of anything that rivals their crab cakes and the red fish, but this meal came close to it.

Dining at Il Latini: front to back: Robert Sledge, DK, Shirely (standing, I will explain later), Cathy
Left front to back: Randy and Nan Randle; Right: Patricia Brashier, Susan Allen, Susan Jordon, Betty Barret Rodgers

Thank goodness we walk after this meal back to our hotel. We sit in the lobby for a while, and I learn how to play a card game and play a few hands before I turn in for the night. I am stuffed, and the man in the commercial finds his way into my thoughts as I get ready for bed and another night of sound sleep after three great meals.
The traveling buddies after a wonderful meal at Il Latini
No comments:
Post a Comment