I hope to have some wonderful tales to tell and even better pictures to share when I get back. Say tuned.
Oh, for the record, I'm not really a fatalist, but I did go to see my very special grandsons and daughter and son-in-law this weekend in case there is a reason I might not make it back home. That would be a shame too because they are the best! Lord, I am in Your hands. Thy will be done. Pictures follow.

Poppa hanging out with the boys

Also, I stopped by to see my parents--hugs all around, even an offer of money but I turned it down. I know Laura, I' m a dork!!! I've heard it before.
Okay, I posted earlier that I was looking forward to my get together with the Lalis. Well, the Lalis reunion was great. I am very fortunate to have a friend who has a "boat house"* at Lake Caroline in Madison, and we stayed there last week-end. We were short two Lalis, one because of family health problems and one because a commitment she could not shirk. However, the four that were together carried on the esprit de corps. After a wonderful dinner at the Strawberry Cafe in Madison, an establishment I highly recommend, we had an evening of catching up and supporting one of the Lalis over the phone who was not able to come. Every family should be as blessed to have a family member like this Lali, who is selfless enough to take care of a relative who has no one else and she does it, I'm sorry to say, to the detriment of herself. She is in our prayers. Saturday morning we had a leisurely breakfast of homemade cinnamon rolls and cheese grits and three pots of coffee. We left mid-morning for a visit to the museum of art in its new location and took in two wonderful exhibits along with the regular exhibition. If you enjoy art and are in Jackson, please stop to see the High School Academic 2008 exhibit. Our state is blessed with some wonderful young artists in all mediums. We ate lunch at Keifer's and stopped by Eudora Welty's home in the Belhaven area, which was closed but that did not keep us from enjoying the view and the wonderful weather. After a few stops we made it back to the "boat house" for an evening of salad, bread and homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs, courtesy of my mother-in-law's recipe. She was a wonderful Italian cook, and I have finally have mastered the sauce recipe, at least that's what my family says. Another late night of talking and Sunday morning coffee followed, and we all headed our separate directions, knowing that we will be back together in May for a visit to New Orleans. (At this point let me say how upset I was when I realized I had forgotten my camera. That is not something I do often. So I have no pics of the week-end. However two of my Lali friends do. If I can get to them soon, I will add pics later.)
Now, I know this may sound rather boring, but to us our visit was a source of rejuvenation and the forming of a stronger bond. Since we had been to together last, one Lali has lost her mother and also had an unexpected revelation at the birth of her grandson. Another's daughter is in a search of a job that has been somewhat disappointing after finishing her Doctorate in English and who also is dealing long distant with a mother who is in the mid-stages of dementia/Alzheimer's. Another's husband is overcoming heart problems and she is facing pain from TMJ. The aforementioned Lali is facing evenings of taking care of her aunt after working during the day. One is doing pretty well right now , and I am, too. Because of our visit, many of these situations do not seem as impossible when we have a chance to talk through them and gain from the experiences of the others, and, more importantly, know that we are in each others' prayers. I love you Lalis!!!!
*Boat house may be a missnomer for the place we stayed. Full kitchen, great room, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 decks, and a wonderful view of Lake Caroline. Nice digs for a boat and the Lalis!
2 comments:
Red is my favorite color, too!
DK,
You said that Laura gets her low-maintenance side from you... she clearly also gets the devotion to her friends. Sounds like the Lalis are a great group!
Gary and I just got back from 10 days in Italy, so I may be able to give packing advice. As for the quart-sized bag, it helps so much to buy a lot of small containers and put toiletries and cosmetics in those - I think that they sell a great kit at Wal-Mart. Hope ya'll have a blast!
Post a Comment