Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Don't Forget Us

Star Glowing Merry Christmas

The time is here for sending and receiving Christmas cards. Gone is the time of sending out a few cards to our family and close friends; the time of writing a quick note inside a card with a printed Christmas greeting and maybe enclosing a photo of the kids; the time of addressing the envelopes by hand; and the time of an affordable stamp to send the card on its way.  Taking the place of the old fashion cards are family newsletters with the happenings and accomplishments of each family member or the slick photo cards of beautiful children or entire families.  I am in the stationary business and I know how much some of these cards cost.  With postage included, some have quite an investment in sending their Christmas greetings.

I know many of you reading this are saying, "I know what you mean.  Sending cards is just another step in the commercializing of Christmas and spending too much money." You may be right.  But, I just have to say I so enjoy receiving these cards.  Someone thought enough of us to take time to send a card even though our address is on a label that was printed from a data file and even though there is not an original signature.  The subjects captured in the pictures are happy for that one moment in time, even though behind the scenes was a most disconcerting time of trying to get that one perfect picture.  I know families who can recall all the times they gathered to take Christmas pictures and the hassle they endured, but as they remember those times they laugh lovingly and speak reverently of those who are no longer in the family pictures.

So, if we are on your Christmas card list, "Thank you."  I look forward to receiving your card.  I am still on the fence if I am going to send cards this year.  I think I have waited too late and so again may send out New Year's greetings in 2011.  If not, then I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments: