Wednesday, December 2, 2009

You Listen While I Pat My Foot

I think I have made the point over the past two years that I am a retired English instructor. I taught 11th grade students and then community college students for 22 years. As a Comp I teacher, I have read all kinds of essays: some made me so proud of what my students had learned; some made me despair over what many of my students had not learned; some made me laugh; some made me cry; some made me want to dump them in the trash. However, through all those years of teaching, I also felt I owed my students some life lessons. One in particular was many doors could be open because of impeccable manners, grooming, speech, personality, education. You get the picture.

Today my daughter sent me an email with the comment, "something you would like." After living with me for 22 years, shes knows me well. If I was still teaching, I would play this at the end of each class and hope at least one student would have the epiphany of what an education is all about. It is definitely more than "book learnin."

Take time to listen to this. If you have heard it before, listen again.

No comments: