Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Path of Truth

“Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” Psalm 119:105

Several weeks ago the “little people” were visiting us for a few days. One of the mornings William and I were sitting on the patio swing, I saw a bird splashing in the bird bath. I told him to look at the red bird taking a bath. He looked at the bird and then replied, “Actually, Kakki, that is a male cardinal.” Well, excuse me I thought, but said, “You know, William, you are right.”

As I thought about our conversation that morning I could not help but think, “That’s my grandson, the little smarty britches.” That night after I read my Bible, I got to thinking about how William is like God. God knows the truth and He wants us to know it, too. Many times we convince ourselves that what we think or say or do is okay. We do not measure our actions by God’s truth. But if we are in tune with God, He will eventually get our attention and begin with, “Actually . . .” We can choose to listen and admit He is right, or we can go on our hard-headed way, refusing to listen.

I heard Beth Moore speak on II Timothy 1:7 that says, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” That self-discipline thing is a concept that often can trip us up. It truly takes self-discipline to seek God’s truth and to live our lives by it. Where do we find that truth? In the study of His word. The scripture tells us that God’s word lights our path. Let us make that path the path of truth.

No comments: