Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tuesday, March 17, "Oh,no! Paula are you alright?!"

Well, what do you know? ! We get to sleep in a bit this morning. We don't have to be down for breakfast so early and will gather at 9:30 a.m. to strike out to take in Seville. As I mentioned in the last post, Paula and I are roomies at this stop, and we get along wonderfully. Although, I was so tired, I would have gotten along with most anyone.

We eat a casual breakfast, breads and jellies for me, along with juice. Violeta gathers us together to begin our day, which turns out to be a long one. We met our guide for the morning, Conchetta. She is charming and knows Seville in and out. Our first stop is at the bull ring, Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza. I wasn't too thrilled about going to a bull ring since I had had my turn at one when I was a child living in New Mexico. My family lived and worked with my grandparents there, and my mamaw made sure I got to visit every site there was in the west and in Mexico too. I don't remember a lot about going, but I do have this memory that it was not that much fun.


Entrance into the bull ring

Entrance of the Toreadors

However, the bull ring was interesting, and I did learn some things I did not know. FYI-The bulls were raised specifically for the bull fights and the meat from the slain bulls was sold or given to the people for food. How about that!!! Also, there was a small chapel where the toreadors went to pray before the fights. We visited the bullfighting museum where there were all kinds of fight costumes and recognition of Spain's outstanding toreadors. Conchetta told the story of Carmen and how her dealth by a jealous lover supposedly took place at this ring. The opera is based on this tragedy, and if you have never heard this story, you need to find an audio copy of Andy Griffith doing a comedy sketch of the story. It is great!

Debbie and me with the ring in the background



The chapel where the bullfighters pray
Entrance of the bulls
Bullfighter's costume
Portrait of well-known fighters
After the bull ring, we took a bus tour of the town. We saw some of the most interesting and unusual buildings that were built by various countries during the Expo of 1929. One of the most beautiful was the building and area known as the Plaza de Espana. Not only was it a large area, but the buildings and surrounding areas were covered with exquisite ceramics and mosaics.
The Golden Tower is one of two towers that guarded the Quadalquivir River entrance into the harbor of Seville. The other tower was destroyed at some point. In old times, a large chain was stretched across the river from tower to tower to prevent ships from moving about the river. It is called the Golden Tower because of the color of the tower at sunset.

Louise and I standing at the entrance to the Plaza de Espana

Ceramic bridge railing
John, MR, Me and Debbie
Mosaic walkway made from rock in the plaza
After our tour of the city, our bus let us out at the Parque de Maria Luisa. Then after our photo opt at the Gate of the Lion, we walked around the park and the Alcazar Garden and the old district of Santa Cruz.

The Gate of the Lion

A rubber tree in the garden area of Santa Cruz

The old city wall

Gardens in old town

Patio area of a home in the old city
Cross of the Locksmiths in the Plaza Santa Cruz

Our next point of interest was the Cathedral of Seville, the largest Gothic church ever built and the largest Cathedral in the Christian world. At this cathedral there is a fusion of Islam and Christianity and of several types of architectural design, including the Arabic design of the Muslims, the Gothic of the Middle Ages, and Baroque and Renaissance influence. The cathedral still has the original minaret of the mosque. FYI-A minaret is a tall tower. This is 34 stories high and and the original tower was used by the Muslims to announce each of the five times of prayer during the day. The eman (I think) had the job to make the trek up the tower to ring the bells to signal time for prayer. Apparently, this up and down five times a day got old, so the steps were changed into a ramp that allowed for a donkey to be ridden up and down the tower. At some point the tower was destroyed in an earth quake and was rebuilt on the same spot. All I can say is thank goodness for the ramp, which we trudged up and then ambled down. The view from the top of Seville and the countryside was gorgeous.
The Minaret. Yep. I climbed all 34 stories of this tower!
Closer view of the top of the Minaret. On the top is a weather vane of bronze called the Giraldillo, which in Spanish means something close to "revolving" or "turning around." The statue represents the triumph of faith. Notice that the bell tower part of the minaret is Renaissance architecture while the minaret itself is of a Islamic influence.


The entrance that is used by the Pope when he comes to the cathedral. In front of the door is the tenebrae candelabra.
One of the ornate altars of the several in the cathedral

It is not known where the bones of Christopher Columbus truly rest since they were moved several times. However, it is believed that they came to rest in the cathedral in Seville. This is the front view of the tomb.
We had worked up a thirst, and hunger was setting in so several of us found a quaint restaurant at which to eat. My meal of Roma tomatoes drizzled in olive oil with basil, along with bread to dip in the olive oil, was wonderful. I even broke down and had two $4 cokes.
On our way to eat lunch, Violeta pointed out that the man in the sunglasses and leather jacket was a former, well-known bullfighter. Apparently several people recognized him.

With our bodies refueled, our group gathered, and we prepared to tour the Alcazar de Seville. FYI-Alcazar is another name for palace. The palace, like the cathedral, was added on to several times, showing the various styles of Mudejar (Islamic) art and other types of architecture of later periods. Surrounding the palace and within the grounds of the buildings are beautiful gardens.
We spent a large part of the afternoon at the Alcazar and even had a moment of fright. As we are all walking around looking up at the ceilings with their beautiful workmanship, Paula missteps on a ramp and falls, hitting her head on a flower pot. I mean really HITTING her head. Her pupils dilated and she turned pasty white. We thought we had lost her for a minute. She gave us a scare and herself a large lump on her head for the next several days.
Following are pictures of the Alcazar and the surrounding gardens. My pictures do not do the palace justice. It is beautiful.
Entrance into the Alcazar
Plaza that opens after passing through the entrance gate
This is the entrance where Paula fell

The ceiling or copula called the Cuadra de la Naranja del Salon de Embajadores

Betty, Debbie, Louise, Drew, Dianne
We walked the Serpentine Street one more time, stopping for ice cream and visiting the shops for those last few purchases. We returned to the hotel and gathered on the roof-top patio for an impromptu cocktail hour before dinner.

Several of us decided to return to the hotel after dinner via the river walk and then caught a taxi back to our hotel. We prepared to leave Seville the next morning, and I fell into the bed like a stone.


Puente (bridge) de Isabell II, the first permnent bridge in Seville

P. S. Before we entered the cathedral, I turned to look over my shoulder, and across the street was this building with an American flag hanging above the door. My heart did a flutter beat so I took a pic. It was good to see a piece of home so far away.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Hey Miss D.K.,
I just came across your blog and enjoyed viewing your pictures of Seville and reading about your adventures there! I studied in Sevilla for a semester during college, and now I'm living in her "sister city" (Kansas City is). So it was good to reminisce. I also learned some facts from you. I probably heard them while I was there but either forgot or never really understood what I was hearing as I was never quite fluent.
Ok, bless you big (and your new little one!)
Courtney Dunstan