Sunday, October 12, 2008

Just Call Me Monk


My daughter tagged me to be it. There have been times when I though I was "IT": when I wore my first pair of high heels; when I got my first pay check; when I drove the car by myself for the first time; when I went to college. College was pretty much an eye-opener! I realized quickly I was not the center of the universe, especially when my advisor didn't care that I did not want an 8:00 a.m. class. Anyway, my daughter tagged me to be it to tell 6 weird things about myself. As I read over her list, she didn't tell me much I didn't already know about her. Like her, I have to have my check book balanced to the penny. I love internet banking; I can check my account everyday, two or three times if I want. So here goes:

1. I have to have order in my life. There is a place for everything and everything in its place. The cans in my pantry are lined up and grouped according to category. Contrary to popular belief, they are not in alphabetical order. There is a proper way to fold clothes and put them away. I have to read the newspaper in a particular order, and no one can have the other parts of it while I am reading it. It's all mine until I am through reading.

2. I love office supplies, especially colored sticky notes of all sizes. My next favorite supply is colored sharpies.

3. I pluck my eyebrows every day. I can't stand the black dot from an emerging eyebrow.

4. I can't to go on an over-night trip and leave my house in disarray. Everything has to be clean and in order. I have this fear that something is going to happen while we are away, and people will have to go into my house without me there. Go figure. Sort of like the hole in the underwear thing.

5. When I was teaching, the last thing I did before I left my classroom for the day was to straighten the desks. The front right leg of each desk had to be on a certain tile.

6. My day is not complete if I have not seen some part of an episode of Law and Order.

Yes, I know I am OCD. However, I read somewhere that if the condition does not interrupt your functioning in your everyday life, it is not considered to be bad. Even Adrain Monk can function as a detective, and a darn good one, may I add.
I tag Rachael.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about painting the inside of garbage cans outside in single digit temps? What about moving every shrub in your yard sometimes more than once?

guess who?

Rachael Tackett said...

It's a good thing they have medication for people like us...