Thursday, May 29, 2008

There is nothing better than . . .

Children's children are the crown of old men; the glory of children are their parents. Prov. 17:6


On May 24 Chase and Laura were married 5 years. The time has passed so quickly, and it has been such a blessing watching their love grow along with their family. Now , I know your a are thinking this is a sappy, nostalgic walk down memory lane, but it's not. Yea! They left town for an anniversary trip to Charleston and Lance and I got to keep William and Wes. Those of you who know us well, know that Laura has not let the kids out of her sight that much. At first I was hurt that she didn't think that we could take care of the kids, but after watching her mother and nurture the boys these past two and a half years, I have come to realize she just likes being a mother and spending time with her boys. Anyway, we got to spend 6 whole days with the boys and loved every minute of it. Here are few realizations I had on the drive home last evening:

6:45 a.m. is very early in the morning.
8:00 p.m. can not come early enough.

There is nothing worse than changing two dirty diapers at 6:45 a.m. when you are not a morning person anyway.
There is nothing better than the smile that greets you after a night's sleep when you walk in your grandson's room.

There is nothing worse than when your grandson spills his glass of milk for the third day in a row after you have said "Be careful" at least 10 times.
There is nothing better than when your grandson wants to go home with you.

There is nothing worse than when your grandson clings to you and won't go to anyone else.
There is nothing better than when your grandson clings to you and won't go to anyone else.

There is nothing worse than the sweaty smell of two little boys after a hard day of playing.
There is nothing better than the smell of two clean little boys after their nightly bath.

There is nothing worse than little fat chubby hands smearing food in their hair or painting a picture on the table with apple sauce.
There is nothing better than little fat chubby hands reaching around your neck to hold on tight.

There is nothing worse than hearing, "No, I don't want to.
There is nothing better than hearing, "I love you , too."

There nothing worse than watching your grandson pitch a screaming, lay-down-on-the-floor fit.
There is nothing better than hearing your grandson's prayer at night, especially when he asks God to bless his Poppa and Kakki.

There is nothing worse than knowing that it will be several weeks before you get to see your babies again.
There is nothing better than going home to Inverness and sleeping in my own bed.

There is nothing worse knowing than there are children who will never get to experience the love of two great parents or even good parents.
There is nothing better than knowing your grandsons are being raised by two great parents

Here are a few pictures of our time with the boys:


Working on hanging the swing on Mama and Daddy's new patio addition. Poppa and Taylor need some help.


The finished product

Learning how to slip and slide.



Kakki turned a box into a major toy.


"I will play here while William is gone."


"These boots are made for walking," especially since I have been walking for only a month. I have a lot to catch up on.


By the way, please don't cut these curls anytime soon!

2 comments:

The Putnam Family said...

That was a fun read...I love the "realizations!"

Marty said...

You are a wonderful grandmother. Thank you for being so.